If you’re a backyard farmer, chances are you’re cut from a different cloth. Backyard farmer types can be executives, entrepreneurs, evangelists, or environmentalists, but there is something that sets us apart from our families, co-workers, and neighbors. This thing that sets backyard farmers apart is that, frankly, we’re all nuts.
Now you may think that my estimation of the backyard farming community is a little harsh. But as a backyard farmer I feel I am well-qualified to make such a statement. The myriad of strange events, uninformed criticisms, and occasional bad luck surrounding backyard farming create an atmosphere of controlled chaos; the saying “never a dull moment” is an understatement.
So if backyard farming is rife with the unexpected, the uninformed, and the unlucky why do we do it at all? For me personally, the reasons why I backyard farm are varied, complex, and at times contradictory; I suspect this is true for most backyard farmers. So on behalf of backyard farmers everywhere I’ve compose the following list entitled “Top 10 Reasons Why I Backyard Farm.” Anytime someone raises an eyebrow, gives you a funny look, or snickers as you explain your weekend just give them this list. Chances are they’ll think you’re just as crazy as they think you are now, but chances are you won’t care. Enjoy!
Top 10 Reasons Why I Backyard Farm (tongue planted firmly in cheek)
- I abhor free time
- I have a ridiculous amount of disposable income to spend on fruit trees
- I prefer to be awake at 3 AM because a skunk is in my hen house
- I would rather grow my own tomatoes for $72 a pound than buy them at the store for $3 a pound
- I have more in common with my chickens than I do with most people
- The zombies are coming
- My yard used to be boring, but my bees have taken care of that!
- I’m going for the “Beverly Hillbillies” look (see photo above)
- I love hearing 1,000 times “If things ever get bad, I’m coming to your house!”
- Nothing pleases me more than learning things the hard way
Got an item that’s fit for the “Top 10” that I forgot? Leave it in the comments section below – humor keeps us going. 😉