9-6-2013 9-37-04 AM

Yes, Backyard Farmers Are Totally Nuts

If you’re a backyard farmer, chances are you’re cut from a different cloth. Backyard farmer types can be executives, entrepreneurs, evangelists, or environmentalists, but there is something that sets us apart from our families, co-workers, and neighbors.  This thing that sets backyard farmers apart is that, frankly, we’re all nuts.

Now you may think that my estimation of the backyard farming community is a little harsh. But as a backyard farmer I feel I am well-qualified to make such a statement. The myriad of strange events, uninformed criticisms, and occasional bad luck surrounding backyard farming create an atmosphere of controlled chaos; the saying “never a dull moment” is an understatement.

So if backyard farming is rife with the unexpected, the uninformed, and the unlucky why do we do it at all? For me personally, the reasons why I backyard farm are varied, complex, and at times contradictory; I suspect this is true for most backyard farmers. So on behalf of backyard farmers everywhere I’ve compose the following list entitled “Top 10 Reasons Why I Backyard Farm.”  Anytime someone raises an eyebrow, gives you a funny look, or snickers as you explain your weekend just give them this list. Chances are they’ll think you’re just as crazy as they think you are now, but chances are you won’t care.  Enjoy!

Top 10 Reasons Why I Backyard Farm (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

1. I abhor free time
  2. I have a ridiculous amount of disposable income to spend on fruit trees
  3. I prefer to be awake at 3 AM because a skunk is in my hen house
  4. I would rather grow my own tomatoes for $72 a pound than buy them at the store for $3 a pound
  5. I have more in common with my chickens than I do with most people
  6. The zombies are coming
  7. My yard used to be boring, but my bees have taken care of that!
  8. I’m going for the “Beverly Hillbillies” look (see photo above)
  9. I love hearing 1,000 times “If things ever get bad, I’m coming to your house!”
  10. Nothing pleases me more than learning things the hard way

Got an item that’s fit for the “Top 10” that I forgot?  Leave it in the comments section below – humor keeps us going.  😉

, ,

16 Responses to Yes, Backyard Farmers Are Totally Nuts

1. Leslie September 6, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Oh my gosh! I love this post, especially reason #4. This year my tomatoes ended up costing me about $7 apiece — and I live in So Calif where the growing season is longer and milder. Try to explain that to a frugal friend. What can I say? In your words, “Nothing pleases me more than learning things the hard way.”

Your sense of humor is refreshing, Christine. Thank you.

• Christine September 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

Glad you liked the post Leslie. Holy smokes – $7! So funny! Sometimes my best tool is laughing my way through all of the blunders – I’m sure you understand. 🙂

2. Sandra Knauf September 6, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Naw, it’s not nuts to want to live close to the earth and have fun (admit it, it’s hard but it’s fun). And I personally love those Beverly Hillbillies! Granny’s remedies . . . Ellie Mae’s animal-mania. Good stuff. 🙂

• Christine September 6, 2013 at 6:00 pm #

I admit it Sandy – I do have a TON of fun. 🙂

3. Brenda Bastin September 6, 2013 at 12:01 pm #

11. I like being dirty all the time, it keeps the soul clean.

Love your thoughts, your sense of humor and especially your way of life! A friend of mine told me that the reason so many people call me for advice is that I have had more failures, therefore I am smarter than most.

• Christine September 6, 2013 at 6:01 pm #

LOL! Brenda that is funny! Must be why I get phone calls as well – all that “practical” experience. 😉

• Joseph Whitehead May 27, 2014 at 1:52 am #

Must explain why I’m so good at fixing computers. I swear, I’ve seen more than a few WTH moments with them.

4. Wanderlust0314 September 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Try being military, living reasonable substainableand moving ever two years. We take backyard farming to a whole new level of crazy. Why yes officer those are tomatoes, and chickens and cats and kids in the back of the minivan…. And yes i plan on driving half way across the united states. As my daughter says we may be crazy, but she has some great memories

• Christine September 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm #

Fantastic! I can only imagine trying to PCS with chickens! 😉

5. cynthia September 8, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

12. I love to see what kind of blooms appear when various veggies go to seed……I think my honeybees like it too!

• Christine September 11, 2013 at 11:28 am #

Honey bees would definitely like that! 🙂

6. Ginger September 12, 2013 at 9:51 am #

Here’s a reason the neighbor’s think we’re nuts: we do hail drills. If I so much as sniff hail, everything gets covered. But there are times the hail comes without warning and we are outside, in winter coats, helmets, sleds over our heads, buckets…anything that can cover us and the plants while we’re in the midst of lightning and thunder and bullets of ice. Our neighbors know we’re crazy! I’m sure they’re eating their popcorn while we are running around like crazy people. I have started investing in hail cloth…oh, this crazy weather place called Colorado!!!!

• Christine September 12, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

Funny! Holy smokes that is a GREAT visual! I have been there as well, and there is no elegant way to go racing around ones yard, trying to save plants, while trying to not get hurt in the process. Very funny – thanks for sharing that! 🙂

7. Herbert September 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm #

You are CRAZY (and so are we) but it’s FUN. I love the feeling of little suckers, AKA “lice,” running through my head (or butt) while I butcher the chickens. Or having a chicken drop a bomb on me when I walk under the trusses, where chickens perch at night, in the barn. Good Times!!

• Christine September 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm #

Gross! Lice freak me out! Herbert I give you and Lindsey the prize – you are braver than Ben and me. 🙂